New Zealand's South Island: 7-Day Self-Drive Tour with TranzAlpine Train Journey and Franz Josef Glacier & Milford Sound Scenic Flights
Incredible scenery, bespoke guided experiences and luxury accommodation: these experiences link the stretch of New Zealand between cosmopolitan Christchurch and the alpine beauty of Queenstown on this unparalleled seven-day self-drive journey of the spectacular South Island.
Experience a road trip quite unlike anywhere else as you're enraptured by vistas of sweeping, exalted mountain ranges, mammoth lakes that sparkle liquid silvers and grand swatches of ice. In between the views and luxury stays at the five-star Hotel St Mortiz by MGallery in Queenstown, there's guided sightseeing in Christchurch's urban centre of graffiti-covered laneways filled with aromatic coffee and architectural flair, a once-in-a-lifetime ride on one of the world's greatest scenic railway journeys — the TranzAlpine Railway — and scenic flights over Franz Josef and the majesty of Milford Sound.
Whether you're pining for respite from city life or seeking new adventures, this tour offers a vast array of terrain ripe for exploration with five days of all-inclusive AWD car rental with GPS, a 4WD guided safari of Wanaka, a tranquil cruise of Lake Wanaka's glistening waters of Lake Wanaka and discovery on the hidden island of Moi Waho.
Your Self-Drive Tour Includes:
- Six nights of handpicked accommodation in luxury five-star hotels and boutique four-star lodges including Edgewater Resort overlooking Lake Wanaka and the five-star Hotel St Moritz by MGallery in Queenstown
- Daily breakfast and selected dining experiences, including afternoon tea at the summit of Mou Waho Island Nature Reserve
- Five days of all-inclusive full-size AWD car rental with GPS
- TranzAlpine Railway from Christchurch to Greymouth — one of the world's greatest scenic railway journeys
- Scenic helicopter ride over Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers with guided snow landing
- Guided half-day 4WD safari adventure of Wanaka
- Lake Wanaka cruise and guided nature walk of Mou Waho Island Nature Reserve
- One-hour scenic flight of Milford Sound and the ‘Big Five’ glaciers
- Select private transfers per itinerary
- Sightseeing with expert local guides per itinerary
Your journey takes you to: Christchurch — Franz Josef — Wanaka — Queenstown.
Keen to see the North Island? Extend your New Zealand discovery with an optional 7-day luxury North Island self-drive tour.
Book with confidence: Our Change of Plan Guarantee will permit you to alter your booking, no questions asked up to 90 days before departure. Furthermore, if you are unable to travel as a result of Government travel restrictions, Luxury Escapes will assist you with a date change, provide you with a credit or process a refund for your booking less any non-recoverable costs. See Fine Print for details.
- New Zealand South Island Luxury Self-Drive Tour